Services to Improve the Quality of Life for the Senior Citizens of Our Community
At the Raleigh County Commission on Aging, our goal is to help seniors maintain their independence by having access to the programs and services that can help them meet their individual needs. However, for many seniors and their families, understanding all of the benefits and community resources available can be difficult. Our agency staffs a professional, licensed social worker to help seniors and their families locate available community resources.
Services provided include
For homeless seniors, we can
- Assist them with placement in local community shelters
- Provide assistance in obtaining low cost senior housing and assist with housing applications
We can work with most public insurance programs to ensure seniors are receiving benefits entitled to them, including Medicare & Medicare Prescription Drug Assistance to help seniors
- Resolve problems with the Medicare benefits, including billing issues
- Apply for Extra Help; the federal program to help lower income seniors in paying for their prescription medication through their Medicare Part D program
- Enroll Medicare beneficiaries in Medicare Part D prescription plans and Medigap plans
Although the Raleigh County Commission on Aging DOES NOT provide funds to help seniors pay for their utilities, our social worker will assist those in need by
LINKAGE & REFERRAL
- Identifying local community resources who can provide funding assistance; seniors MUST have a cutoff notice from the utility company in order to receive assistance
- Helping seniors fill out applications for utility assistance, such as the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) application
For seniors and their families who have questions about programs and resources available for senior care, our social worker can work with you to identify the most appropriate services available. We can also help you navigate the application processes for services and advocate on your behalf.
For seniors who need to come to our Center for assistance, we can arrange transportation. For those who are unable to come into the Center, due to health or mobility issues, our social worker can schedule a home visit.
All inquiries are confidential.
While all social services are provided free for seniors and their families, donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.